For those of us whose lives and families don’t look like those in Hallmark and Lifetime channel movies, we struggle about how to celebrate the season in an authentic way, true to who we are and not crazy making! Families that have been torn apart by abuse (domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse) and have painful trauma histories, find that fitting into any vision of a bountiful, prosperous holiday season is almost impossible.
It may be that money isn’t plentiful so our kids can’t expect generous gifts, sumptuous meals or delightfully fun activities for the holidays. Moreover, we may be easily triggered back to memories of past violence and family disruption that occurred even at the holidays. That’s a really hard reality to gloss over as if it never really happened.
But for those of us who are moving on after violence, abuse and trauma in our lives, I believe that there’s a way, despite the challenges, to feel special, loved and happy at this time of the year. That way is to experience the spirit of the holidays as “thrivers,” not just survivors of all that has happened to us.
- As a THRIVER, let your Happy Person Inside comes out to play with you.
- As a THRIVER, find joy in who and where you are right now.
- As a THRIVER, celebrate how far you’ve come. Wow! Isn’t that amazing?!
To bring out this THRIVER spirit in the holiday season, I have a December tradition, one that I share every year with my Thriver Community. Below are my TEN TIPS FOR THRIVING this holiday season.
Let these tips inspire you, no matter where you are in your life, to find joy, contentment and wonder for the holidays! You can carry that positive energy into the New Year so you can manifest even more of your thriver desires and truly live a life of power and purpose!
2022 is going to be a good year for thriving! I can feel it. Why don’t we go for it? We can do it! There is nothing we can’t do! We can turn the page and enter into a new life. This is our year to do it!
TEN TIPS for Thriving this Holiday Season
- Be Positive. Surround yourself with positive people and things. Choose intentionally who you spend time with over the holidays and how you spend that time with them. Think what will give the holidays meaning to you and do that!
- Change your holiday rituals or traditions. Try something new and different, maybe something you might not have done in the past. Be bold! Find your joy!
- Stay in the present. Don’t dwell on things good or bad about the holidays in your past. That is done and over. You may not have had control over what happened then, but this year, in this time and space, you can and will make the holidays special. You can do it!
- Quiet your Inner Critic. Don’t let it rule. Go with the best-case scenario, not the more negative thought. That negative voice in your head always has something to say and most of it isn’t good. Don’t let it compare your holiday celebration with past ones or anyone else’s. Tell it to go away, leave you alone or just ignore it.
- Eat & drink in moderation. Find ways to celebrate in good health. Overindulgence is not a way to have a great holiday. Have fun, but in moderation.
- Don’t expect too much or settle for too little. This season doesn’t have to be perfect, just happy. You may not be blown over with joy, but don’t sell yourself short either. Take a break! Relax and enjoy!
- Be compassionate with yourself and others. Let things go. Don’t try too hard. Focus on making someone else feel joy. Give rather than receive.
- Spend time alone. Being alone doesn’t mean being lonely. Give yourself quality time and go deep inside to discover for the true meaning of the season for you.
- Buy yourself a THRIVER gift. Nothing extravagant, but something that brings out and celebrates the thriver energy in you. Something that lets the REAL YOU shine through for all the world to see. You are a thriver! Don’t hold back. Go for it all!
- Most important of all . . . have FUN! Get your SPARKLE ON! Do something silly, crazy and outside your comfort zone. Step out in the New Year into the Thriver Zone. It’s waiting for you. Make it your own! Make it the best year ever!
REMEMBER: LIVING WELL IS THE BEST REVENGE!